Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Of Popovers, Moscow Mules, Rene Magritte and reasons Houston rocks

So I didn't peek. And I added a bit more milk and a tablespoon of melted butter. And the popover quest succeeded!


Yes, this is what you get from just flour, milk, eggs, salt and butter. And I'd bet you don't need the snazzy popover pan, but since I have it…

Sunday found me at the Menil Collection in Houston -- a free and gorgeous art museum. It's the last week of the Rene Magritte exhibit. I have loved Magritte and his surrealism for as long as I can remember. We spent a lot of time at Chicago's Art Institute when I was growing up and his painting called Time Transfixed (below) was one I visited every time And what do you know -- it was part of this retrospective exhibit. Actually there was even a second exhibit with his later works. Now I'm obsessed again…. Plus the Menil. Quiet,  with lovely wood floors and amazing filtered lighting… Live oaks and gardens and the Cy Twombly gallery across the street. (I was the ONLY ONE in the entire Twombly gallery. That was crazy, but I don't know if people even know it's there…) And the Rothko Chapel and a million other reasons that Houston is really one of the unsung coolest cities (except for the weather) around.


Also, there is this- a Moscow Mule--a Mad Men inspired vodka cocktail served in a copper cup (why, I'm not exactly sure). Vodka, ginger beer, lime, sugar... I first saw it at the kid lit party at the Arctic Bar in Seattle during AWP. And first ordered one this week. I'd imagine a popover or two might go well with a couple of these pretties…


No comments: