Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Me and Blue Willow Bookshop

As I've written many times in many venues, I ADORE Houston's Blue Willow Bookshop. Valerie Koehler and Cathy Berner and the staff have truly helped make my career. I literally wandered in with a galley of DREAMING ANASTASIA back in the summer of 2009 and thrust it at them, having little hope that they would read it much less CHAMPION MY CAREER. Along with Houston's other amazing indies, including Murder by the Book (a topic for another post later this month), Blue Willow is an oasis of literacy. They are tiny but mighty. You come in. They talk to you. They hand sell you books. They support authors in every possible way. They provide newsletters and take trips to NYC so that they can bring their readers the best of what's out there. And tomorrow will be my third time to sign at the store. I am not kidding when I say that when something exciting happens in my career, Valerie and Cathy are just about the first people I think of telling.

Last night, in an offsite venue, Blue Willow hosted one of my favorite authors, Sarah Dessen, who writes about life and love and summer and the courage it takes to change the path you are on. I was thrilled to finally meet her! (and so star struck that I did not say anything other than "It's a pleasure to meet you." Not, hey, I'm a Houston author. Or hey, "Just Listen" is my favorite of your books. Or even, "Hey, it's your birthday today and it's also my son's birthday and while I know you don't care, I think that's kind of cool." Nope. Didn't say any of that. Sarah, if for some off chance you read this, I LOVE Just Listen. I read it first because a student was reading it. And then I couldn't put it down. And then I read everything else you have written.)
Tomorrow, Saturday 6/8, Blue Willow Bookshop is hosting the Houston Launch of THE SWEET DEAD LIFE (Soho Press) - a book that is a new step in my career and one that I'm very, very proud of. I just picked up some delicious cookies for the occasion:
And there will be cowboy boot coozies and angel trivia and I will probably get misty-eyed because I never in a million years believed that someday this would be happening the way it has. Here is the link to the event:

If you are in the Houston area, I'd love to see you!
Til next time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"tiny but mighty" -- Beverly hills chihuahua quote! :D