Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

What are you reading?


Nice kid lit event Tuesday night at Murder by the Book, one of our beautiful Houston indies -- this one dedicated as the name would suggest, to crime and mystery. My friend Mary Lindsey (Shattered Souls, Penguin) and blogger Maria Cari Soto (who is also the social media guru for my other favorite indie, Blue Willow) and John Kwiatkowski, the  publicity manager at MBTB chatted about everything from ebooks to the next trends in YA and MG. An hour talking books with people who love books. Heaven.

I'm a scattered reader these days -- a bunch of books going in both physical form or on my Kindle.  Picked up so many arcs at TLA that I don't know if I'll get through them any time soon, but that's what summer is for, right? Right now I'm starting Dairy Queen and loving it. I lapped up Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Studied the mystery structure of Megan Miranda's debut Fractured. And can hardly wait to dig into Insurgent. I am anxious to read Geoff Herbach's sequel to Stupid Fast, Nothing Special, which just came out. (Geoff will be guesting on this blog very soon, btw) Am also reading Save the Cat, which I'll talk about at a later date -- about plotting screen plays, but everyone's finding it applicable to writing novels and I agree. It's already been a nice revelation and I'm glad for it! And I've started reading Cara Black's mysteries set in Paris. She's a Soho Press writer I had the privilege of meeting when we launched Soho Teen at ALAMW and I'm already in love with her female detective and the Parisian setting. I read so much YA that it's nice to read an 'adult' mystery, too. Oh, and Grave Mercy by RL LaFevers. I snagged that at TLA, too, and can hardly wait to dig in.

How about you?

What are you reading right now?

No comments: