Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in the saddle

Going back to school tomorrow for a week of inservice and possibly the equivalent of a work day in my classroom. So the truth is, I've been up there already, pushing desks around, re-arranging, sprucing the place up. And I spent a couple of hours pounding out some lesson plans on my laptop at Starbucks one morning. (Some things just go better with a cup of coffee. Okay most things. And to think that I actually gave up caffeine for a year at one point. What the heck was I thinking?) So here I am, sucking in a big breath and getting ready to balance the writing world with the school world, a task that gets harder and harder sometimes. But I do have to say that the energy was, well, energizing. ROTC kids already back and drilling or whatever it is they do. Cheerleaders and flag girls practicing their routines. Band kids walking sideways in the heat spelling out whatever it is they're spelling out. Ginormous line of seniors waiting for their schedules and parking tags. And even though the cleaning crew had left my file cabinet in very different place than I had left it in June, and even though all the adult politics seem exactly the same level of crazy as I'd left them, I actually (shhhh - don't tell anyone) found myself looking forward...

Til next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(shh)I can't wait for the kidlets to go back to school, too. I'm so excited for them and all of the cool new things they are going to learn this year.

Watching the students grow and learn and, you know, become is the thing. I'd look forward to it, too, if I were standing behind the podium these days. :)

~Beth

Anonymous said...

You know, I think Ryan was secretly kind of excited too!

Anonymous said...

Ah - becoming! Tis what it's all about. And today was actually - Fates do not let me tempt you - a good day that never once felt like I was wasting a piece of my life. So yay!
Joy