Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunny Sunday

Sun is shining. Unlike yesterday when it was grey the whole day and then just as we were driving home from a later dinner out, the skies unleashed pounding rain. Of course, I still have a Banana Republic shopping bag full of research papers to deal with. But I digress.

Just finished Luxe. If you want a YA read that's fun and frothy and basically Gossip Girl set in Edith Wharton times in Manhattan, then this is the book for you. Lots of secrets and repressed feelings. Oh so delightful.

College grad son's diploma came in the mail Friday. We spent a chunk of time staring at it with goofy smiles on our faces. Yeah, I know we went to the ceremony. They called his name and everything. But honestly, they still hadn't checked everyone's grades. And as I'm a "prepare for the Cossacks, they just might ride in" kind of gal, I just had to wait to really see it in print. And to see the enclosed flyer where they offer to "preserve" your diploma in some super special $75 frame. For that price, I could take his diploma out to Vic and Anthony's for a steak, too.

Maybe the curse of February is turning. That's what husband calls it. February usually sucks in our world. Don't know why. Maybe it was that bad break up I had back in college with the rebound boyfriend who should have remained a summer romance only but lingered into the snowy months. Maybe it's the weird leap year thing where you don't even know for sure how many days you're getting from this odd little month. Maybe it's when they decided we couldn't have separate Lincoln and Washington birthdays off and gave us the decidely lame President's Day. Maybe it's the mass insanity of Valentine's Day. But I'm ready for more February good news like the diploma.

Bring it on February! Break the curse. Toss good news everyone's way. And tell that pesky rodent groundhog who saw his shadow this year that he was wrong. Fie on you Puxatawny Phil.

Til next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to break the February curse too. Everyone seems so apathetic, sick of the weather, and depressed about waiting for an answer from agents and editors, and I have to admit, I've been sitting on the top of that heap.

So, with your urging, I'm running down the hill now (a warm sunny, green grass hill) and am giving up the sentry post at the top to the first bidder. Anyone? KYM