Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Potter mania

I succumbed. Pulled out my copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to re-read. I do admit I haven't reserved a copy of number seven yet. It's clear to me that all I'll have to do is step from my front door and someone, somewhere here in the burbs will be selling it for a steep discount. (Head of lettuce, Boca Burgers, copy of Harry Potter...) But I'll be snarfing one up as soon as it hits the shelves.

One of my colleagues says she's going to re-read all six. Or is re-reading them as we speak. I don't have that kind of fortitude. But I've caught the fever. Is Dumbledore really really dead? Will Harry live? Will Snape? And how 'bout old Hagrid? Bunches of folk are chatting up the idea that Hagrid will die because he's been a parent figure. Interesting thought.

My money's on Snape to kick the bucket. Always liked him. (okay, I didn't like his actions, but I like the character) I like my bad guys a bit ambiguous. Is he bad? Is he good? Nothing worse than a cardboard villain. Gotta have a reason for being the big baddie. Gotta have some possible redeeming quality. At least that's my take on it. Same thing for the good guy. I like mine a little bad. A little dangerous. Clearly capable of going in the other direction if circumstances shift a bit.

Anyway, I figured I'd chime in for a bit. Even if this whole topic's been discussed by better heads than mine.

Til next time...

No comments: