Pages

Friday, June 22, 2007

summer reading

I've been swallowing books like candy lately and it's been glorious. (Okay, I'm not really sure I like that last image, but my head is so clogged right now with revision issues for my novel, the possibility that my hardworking and brilliant agent Michelle now thinks I'm doofus of the year, and internal questions about quests (perhaps the heroine will simply take the cute guy and open a small pie diner in Duluth, Minnesota, pump out three kids and never darken the doorstep of my brain ever again??) that I can't come up with anything better.

But back to the books. Obviously, because I write (or, this dark and gloomy morning believe I attempt to) young adult novels, I spend a lot of time with them. But I pretty much grab anything that comes my way.

Of the best lately, I'd recommend:

Melissa Marr's new book, Wicked Lovely. It's YA urban fantasy and once you pick it up, you simply won't put it down again until you discover what's ultimately going to happen to Aislinn, Seth, Keenan and Donia. You get faeries, a love triangle, some real danger and some gorgeous writing. Plus Melissa is my personal hero for showing me how to throw oneself into the job of pre-promotion. Her book is flying off the shelves right now because she's worked like a lion. Bravo!

The Education of Robert Nifkin by Daniel Pinkwater. Just darn funny. Laugh your butt off funny. Irreverant. Subversive. And left me wanting to read more.

Boy Proof by Cecil Castelluci. The main character's personal journey from, well, boy proof to confident young woman is a true delight.

Twisted, the newest book by Laurie Halse Anderson. Dark, serious, and a stellar male protagonist. We've got too few of those by my estimation and Anderson has given us a story about subjects that have no easy answer.

And if you've not yet read Avalon High by Meg Cabot, grab that one up too. Basic premise is what if King Arthur and Lancelot and Mordred and Lady of the Lake, et al, were all re-born - into a suburban high school setting. Great, great fun. Snappy dialogue. And one of my Meg Cabot favorites.

Could name a dozen more, but that's enough for now. Let me know if you've got some favorites to recommend.

Til next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disclaimer.I don't read fiction. Even though my favorite book is Anthem. (?) Anyway I read The History of Love recently as a suggestion from a pal. It was very good